What you need on a website – Supplier Professionalism

What you need on a website – Any wedding supplier who runs a business needs to have a certain amount of info displayed on their website and invoices.  This is irrespective if they are a Limited Company or a Sole Trader or a Partnership.  This website is a great place to check out the legalities.

All Websites

As from 1st January 2007 the following applies to Business Stationery (which includes Websites):

Whether in hard copy, electronic or any other form:
A company must state its name, in legible lettering, on the following –

  • all the company’s business letters, order forms;
  • all its notices and other official publications;
  • all bills of exchange, promissory notes, endorsements, cheques and orders for money or goods purporting to be signed by, or on behalf of, the company;
  • all its bills of parcels, invoices, receipts and letters of credit
  • on all its websites

If a Limited Company – on all of its business letters, order forms or any of the company’s web sites, the company must show in legible lettering –

  • its place of registration
  • registered number
  • its registered office address
  • and if it is being wound up, that fact

Whenever an email is used where its paper equivalent would be caught by the stationery requirements then that email is also subject to the requirements. The above also applies to Limited Liability Partnerships.

  • If the website collects user data (i.e. via simple enquiry form, or shopping cart), display a Privacy Policy informing the user what the business does with the data and that it conforms to The Data Protection Act as well as the upcoming GDPR. The Privacy Policy needs to explain what cookies the website will create and what they are for.
  • Require user consent to leave cookies on the visitors machine, unless the cookie is a necessary requirement for the website to function

E-commerce Sites

  • Have Terms & Conditions, Delivery and Returns Policy pages to display information as part of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations and Electronic Commerce Regulations (EC Directive)
  • If you collect and process credit and debit card information, you must conform to the PCI DSS.

What you need on a website – Invoices

Just as websites need the info by law, so do invoices.  This UK Government website shows you what needs to be included.

All companies –

  • a unique identification number
  • your company name, address and contact information
  • the company name and address of the customer you’re invoicing
  • a clear description of what you’re charging for
  • the date the goods or service were provided (supply date)
  • the date of the invoice
  • the amount(s) being charged
  • VAT amount if applicable
  • the total amount owed

What you need on a website – Sole trader invoices

If you’re a sole trader, the invoice must also include:

  • your name and any business name being used
  • an address where any legal documents can be delivered to you if you are using a business name

What you need on a website – Limited Company

If your company is a limited company, you must include the full company name as it appears on the certificate of incorporation.

If you decide to put names of your directors on your invoices, you must include the names of all directors.

What you need on a website – VAT Invoices

You must use VAT invoices if you and your customer are VAT registered.

These include more information than non-VAT invoices.

This isn’t hard to do – but it shows a level of professionalism that, by law, ALL UK business (and to be honest EU business) MUST show.  If you can’t get the basics right – why should people trust you?